Jul 10, 2009

word of the day

lis⋅ten

–verb (used without object)
1. to give attention with the ear; attend closely for the purpose of hearing; give ear.
2. to pay attention; heed; obey (often fol. by to).
3. to wait attentively for a sound (usually fol. by for)
4. Informal. to convey a particular impression to the hearer; sound

Listening does not necessarily mean you are searching for a sound. Body language comprises 90% of communication. So I would go as far to say that listening is not just a job for the ears alone. We listen with our ears, our eyes, and our hearts.

What are you listening to?
What has your attention? What do you attend to closely for the purpose of hearing? Over the years this question has had many answers for me: God, Mom, Dad, Siblings, Friends, ... Who should you be listening to? The same person Mrs. JZ references, that audience of One. The sound might be a simple I love you shown through something being in the right place at the right time. It might be "I care about your wants as well as your needs" heard by finding a few extra dollars for that frap you've been craving. These are the easy things to hear. The things that bring immediate gradification. The sounds of the American Dream (give me what I want before I even realize I want it).

The sounds that are harder to hear are the sounds of challenge. I don't know about you but when I even think about something that seems outlandish or impossible I feel tired and overwhelmed. I haven't even entertained what I've heard, and yet it tires me. Does the sound line up with God's word? Does the sound confirm things heard in your secret place? Does the sound please God? Is it bigger than yourself? Then go for it and go hard! Leave no stone unturned until you reach it. Easier said then done I am quite aware. However, the rewards of radical obediance to what you have heard are immeasurably more than you could hope for immagine for.

So listen, give attention, attend closly for purpose, obey, wait attentivly, and be impressed by what God is longing to do in your life. I know I am.



3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm. That's good!

    "Leave no stone unturned until you reach it." That's powerful. And challenging. It's easier just to sit back and wait for revelation to come to us. But that's generally not how God works.

    <3

    Love you sister! I'm proud of you for not being satisfied with complacency any longer. We never should be satisfied with where we're at. There's always more. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be content with where the Lord's placed us, but we should never settle down and say we're good right where we're at spiritual & that we don't have any more room to grow. Often when we're in that place of satisfaction, of settling down we don't say those words, "that we don't need any more growth," but the way we live our lives says it.

    Yeah. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good word my friend.

    ReplyDelete