Nov 16, 2013

Five for Friday {11/15/13}

Linking up with Doodle Bugs Teacher for some five for Friday action on this blustery Saturday.  I'm always late to the party.  One of these days......



Money.... We've started learning about money.  There are sooooooo many fun games and resources out there on TPT for money.  My favorite is always when I can incorporate a song with our learning.  Mostly because I like to sing and dance and 2nd graders love to put up with it.  Here's the song we've sung everyday this past week...



While the song was playing I had each child push the coin we were singing about the help develop the  name and value recognition.  I was surprised at how many children do not know the names or values of the coins.  Several thought there could be a 6 cent and a 3 cent piece.  Why....Who knows?  This is the first time they've come across coins academically.  Might be connected.  Regardless....county money is fun!!!



To help us with counting money I asked kids to bring in their own real coins.  There's something about holding a real coin verses the plastic coins.  Some of those quarters tried to escape to lunch...luckily I asked for a certain amount of $$ so we could count each time we packed the money up.  Here's a link to the note I sent to parents.
Wednesdays are always one of my favorite days of the week.  Along with the joys of randomly asking anyone "What day is it?" and EVERYONE answering loud and clear for all to hear "Hump Daaaaay", Wednesdays are my middle school girls small group nights.  They always leave me with a little precious gem of hilarity to share.  Most of the time I'm the only one who finds it funny.  This time I think you'll join me in the humor....  We were learning about communion.  The body of Jesus is represented by the bread and His blood is represented from the wine.  While we were beginning to talk about it one of the little squirrels blurted out "Well can his oil and sweat be butter?"  An amazing ab workout commenced.  Where do they come up with these things.  I heart middle schoolers.  They're the wackiest!!!!  


Teacher's night at the Smithsonian was jam packed and lots of fun!!!! Did you know that the natural history museum has an insect zoo!!!!! I know you're just as pumped about hearing that as I was.  I might have let out a little "What! What!" right there next to the stuffed Mammoth in the entryway.  This was however acceptable museum behavior for teacher's night.  There was wine at every corner.  Yummmmm.  I got to touch some weird creepy-crawlies that I did not take any pictures of because I was so focused on being brave.  The wine might've helped with this.
Last but not least my stress levels can go back a little closer to normal now that my ESOL grad classes are finished for this school year!!!!  I will know by the end of next week if I passed the Praxis to add that lovely ESOL certification to my MD State Teaching Certificate.  This also means that I'm finished with grad classes for the school year because my reimbursements are all used.  Six credits in 8 weeks was a little nuts.  Add that to a student teacher, a new grade, and a new subject area and you will begin to see my state of mind over the past 3 months.....NUTS!!!!  Finally it is over....for now.  I still have to get that master's degree or at least an equivalency so I can see that $10 pay increase!!  WHAT WHAT!!!!!  Teacher's are so overpaid.

Happy weekend!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment