Aug 8, 2013

Leibster Award - *Squweel*


I am PUMPED to have been nominated for the Leibster Award!!!  Continuously running through my head (as songs and movies do) is the line from the Grinch “An awaaaaaard? For meeeeeee?”


As a new blogger it is exciting to first of all see that people will actually read what you write and second of all have someone nominate you for an award.  I have loved these past two weeks of blogging and reading other teacher’s blogs.  It has opened up another door for collaboration and idea sharing.  I love it when I go to a meeting and I already know what they’re talking about because I’ve read about it on someone’s blog.  So helpful!!!

So thank you Melissa from Teacher Abroad for nominating me!

To accept this nomination there are some things I have to do:
1. Link back to the blog that nominated me
2. Nominate 5 - 11 blogs with fewer than 200 followers
3. Answer the questions posted by my nominator
4. Share 11 random facts about myself
5. Create 11 questions for my nominees
6. Contact my nominees to let them know I nominated them

I’m showing my love to my new Maryland blogging buddies (who I've found through Fifth in the Middle).  So without further delay the Leibster goes to...








11 Questions from Melissa

1.   Who has inspired you in your career?

I am so lucky to work at a school with sooooo many talented teachers that makes this a tough question.  My two biggest inspirations are my mentor teacher and my teaching mama.  My mentor teacher helped me so much that first crazy year.  Without her constant encouragement I would have NEVER made it.  When I moved to 3rd grade a few years ago I was able to teach with my teaching mama.  She’s THE best!  She works so hard to make sure that all of her activities, books, groups, everything match her students needs and motivate students to learn.  She takes no slack from anyone, but knows how to balance it with a good time.  All of her students LOVE her.

2. If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go?

I would go back to London, England.  I’d want to stop at every tourist stop and enjoy tea time with scones every single day.  I also think it would be awesome to travel the good ol’ USA and make a pit stop in every state.

3.  What’s one piece of advice you would give to a new teacher?

Don’t forget about self-care.  It is so easy to spend all of your time staying afloat.  School takes on a life of its own as soon as we set foot back in the door.  Schedule time with your friends and DON’T CANCEL!!!!  Get a manicure every once in a while.  And laugh often.  Laugh at yourself, laugh with the kids, laugh at life’s little quirks.  It will keep you sane.

4. What inspired you to start your blog?

I’ve read teacher blogs for the past few years and really find a lot of inspiration in the sharing and collaboration that it brings.  With TpT and Pinterest I have found so many ideas that are VERY useful and have been so helpful in the classroom.  I hope that something I share can help someone else. 

5. What’s the most embarrassing/funny thing that’s happened to you in the classroom?

Once upon a time I was reading a story about toads and turtles and such.  As happens to me often my mind began to wonder as I was reading.  I began to think about our classroom turtle for some reason just as I was reading the word toad.  It came out “turd” and all seriousness was gone for the remainder of the class.  I couldn’t stop laughing.  They couldn’t stop laughing.  It was the best and funniest moment ever.  You can read the full story here.  I was attempting to blog at the time.

6. What’s your favorite chocolate bar?

I LOVE chocolate so this was a hard question.  I’d have to go with Snickers.  It’s pretty much like the commercials for me! 

7. If you could teach any grade, which would you choose? Why?

I’ve taught 5th and 3rd.  This year I’ll be moving to 2nd.  But my favorite was when I student taught 1st grade. I LOVED that age group.  I’m working my way down it seems.

8. If you weren’t a teacher, what job do you think you’d do instead?

I’ve thought about this many times after a sour parent conference or when I feel too many demands being put upon me. I can never come up with anything that I would rather do than teach.  It’s what I was made to do.

9. What has your best success in the classroom been?

I had an ESOL student this past year that moved to our country a few days before starting in my classroom.  She came in knowing no English at all.  By the end of the year we were able to have conversations and laugh together.  I was lucky enough to have an intern last year so I could steal a few one on one minutes here and there with her which helped so much!

10. In your opinion, what book should every teacher have on their shelves?

My favorite picture book is Small Beauties: The Journey of Darcy Heart O’Hara by Elvira Woodruff.  I could cry every single time.  It is such an inspirational book.

My favorite chapter book is good old Ramona Quimby Age 8. A classic!

11. What do you like to do outside of school (hobby, sport, etc.)

I love to blog and read blogs of course.  I also like to read books, play volleyball, and I am very involved with the middle schoolers at my church.

11 Random Facts About Me
1. I LOVE even numbers and hands down prefer them over odd numbers.
2. My favorite color is pink.
3. My favorite color to wear is green.
4. I have a bichon frise puppy named Pierre.  He will be the same age as my students this year.  Weird!
5. I have a mild obsession with wearing scarves.
6. I took dance lessons for 10 years as a child and did point for 2 of those years.
7. When I was in 2nd grade I dreamed of becoming a dance teacher.
8. My favorite teacher was my second grade teacher, Mrs. Carter.  I was so sad when she moved to Arkansas.
9. I LOVE to dance and will use any brain break opportunity to break it down with my students.
10. I’m not OCD, but some of my tendencies would tell you otherwise.
11. I am sooooo forgetful that one of my class jobs is the reminder helper. 

11 Questions for my Nominees:

1. Who or What influenced you to become a teacher?

2. One piece of advice for a new teacher.
3 .One piece of advice for a seasoned teacher.
4. What is your favorite thing you did this summer?
5. How do you unwind after a rough day at school?
6. What colors make you smile?
7. What is one funny or embarrassing story from school or life?
8. If you could teach anywhere, where would you teach?
9. Salty or Sweet? Which one satisfies the cravings?
10. How do you give yourself a brain break during the day?
11. Why did you begin to blog?


Thank you again Melissa for nominating me, and congratulations to my new nominees! 




No comments:

Post a Comment